Kingston

Kingston was settled under the name Fort Cataraqui in 1673 by the French, and was later taken over by the British and renamed Fort Frontenac.  It was referred to as the King’s Town by 1787 and eventually Kingston in 1788.

The “Limestone City” is ideally situated in the location where the St Lawrence River flows out of Lake Ontario, and at the entrance to the Rideau Canal, which leads up to Ottawa.  It is nearly equidistant from Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Syracuse (NY).